Speaker programs are critical to enhancing the practice of medicine and improving patient outcomes. They create a space where pharmaceutical or device manufacturers interact with HCPs to provide timely medical education and scientific information about their products. In the rapidly changing world of medical advances, speaker programs help to positively impact patient care by keeping HCPs apprised of the latest clinical data and emerging safety issues.
But, with many compliance regulations to consider, it can be challenging to find appropriate venues for these events. Considering the recent OIG guidance and forthcoming 2022 PhRMA Code changes, we have revisited our venue suggestions below.
Best Restaurants for
Pharmaceutical Speaker Program
As always, your venue selection needs to meet these minimum criteria:
- Have a fully private dining room
- The location must be conducive to learning
- Have a credible reputation for being a modest venue (as judged by local standards) and appropriately modest meals
- Venues chosen for HCP or patient programs should never have entertainment value. This can be obvious at times, in the case of a casino. However, at some venues the presence of entertainment may not be so obvious on a venue’s website and can be easily overlooked if you are simply searching for private dining space. Familiarize yourself with some of the more common venues which have come to be known for their sports and entertainment activities like bowling, bocce, video gaming, golfing, or karaoke, and then avoid them for the purposes of HCP programs.
Other criteria to consider:
- Pre-set menu options that fit within pharmaceutical industry guidelines and meal caps
- Ability to accommodate vegetarian, gluten-free, and other dietary restrictions
- Staffed with a professional Private Dining Coordinator
- Ability to provide detailed receipts and documentation post-program
- Have experience with pharmaceutical dinners and an understanding of industry regulations
Other new criteria to factor in:
- High-end restaurants and similar venues are not appropriate.
- Pharmaceutical companies should not pay for/provide alcohol in connection with speaker programs, including beer or wine.
US National Chain Restaurants
Seasons 52 specializes in fresh, seasonal dishes served in a casual sophisticated atmosphere. It offers several private dining amenities including personal event coordinator and valet parking. Private dining spaces include personalized room lighting, sound and temperature control.
Serving authentic Italian-American cuisine, Maggiano's boasts an inviting atmosphere with a goal to make each guest feel special. With 50 locations across the US, each includes private dining options and pre-set menus serving generous portions of made-from-scratch fare.
Del Frisco's Grille
Offering modern American comfort classics, each menu at Del Frisco Grille includes regional flavors and locally sourced ingredients.
Top Venue Picks in Major US Cities
The list below contains some of the venues we have found that provide appropriate private dining, quality modest meals, and solid service. These venues are easy to work with when reconciling the final invoices. This list is not exclusive and since no two experiences are the same, we cannot guarantee your experience will be the same as ours has been. However, it should serve as a good starting point as you plan your speaker programs.
New York City
Our Speaker Bureau Management team within BCD Meetings & Events are experts in this area. This specialized group of meeting planners are knowledgeable consultants who coordinate thousands of pharmaceutical speaker programs each year. Services include venue sourcing and contracting; therefore, modest and compliant meetings are their forte.